Saturday, September 19, 2015

A Day in the Life (Death?)

I've figured out just what my sugar intake was on a very typical day in around 2012.

Please note that I am not exaggerating in any way. This is only typical, and probably actually is a minimization of my intake—I distinctly recall days when I positively binged, possibly ingesting more than half again this quantity, having given up alcohol, and believing I was entitled.

Wherever possible, these are images of the actual brands of the stuff I was ingesting. Each is followed by my estimates of how many teaspoons of pure white sugar they amounted to.

5 Casal Domingo .05% wine coolers at 25g of sugar each: Total: 20 tsp. white sugar



1 packet gummy treats, about 40g sugar:  Total: 10 tspwhite sugar

8 Leclerc Chocolate Raspberry Truffle cookies : Total: 28 tspwhite sugar (not counting carbs)

1 plate Spaghetti Bolognese (2 cups at 45g carbs/cup) :  Total: 22 tspwhite sugar

1 large slice Black Forest cake :  Total: 7 tspwhite sugar

GRAND TOTAL, ONE DAY: 87 tspwhite sugar

That looks like this, give or take a couple of cubes (I cobbled it together in Photoshop, but you get the picture):

That is one day.


If you even approach HALF this daily, you're in BIG TROUBLE, especially if you've been consuming sugar like this for decades, like I had.

What do you do to remedy this?

Slash all sugars and carbohydrates IMMEDIATELY.

Three months ago, I did, and now I estimate my daily sugar consumption looks like this:

Still too much, but better than the preceding.

It's never too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment